Sunday, August 12, 2012

Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs): Leading People


  1. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward achieving the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building.

August 12th, 2012
For anyone that who might be interested, here was my answer(s).  I wrote this at the end of last May.



Conflict Management – Conflict can often provide for opportunities to learn, to express differences of opinions, and can foster communication between personnel as well.  Moreover, confrontation can often lead to new opportunities which may have been previously unavailable.  However, any instances of mean-spirited confrontation are surely to be avoided, especially in the workplace.  Actually, I tend to thrive on confrontations because such often allow for opportunities for worthwhile change.  Though, I rarely think of any exchanges of opinions as confrontations.  Because, I encourage everyone to say whatever they believe is necessary to be said.  In fact, when aware of any looming confrontations on the horizon, I prefer to initiate the confrontation so that the matter is resolved on my own terms and at a time and place of my choosing. 

Leveraging Diversity – For any successful entity, diversity of team members is a valuable resource.  Having others of different backgrounds allows for greater diversity of thought when resolving difficulties.  Inclusion of differing viewpoints adds to problem-solving endeavors and also allows for a more well-rounded approach to issues.  Nearly every day I encounter someone who may be succumbing to their insecurities which are often a result of being perceived as different by intolerant others.  However, I typically tell those suffering from such self-doubt that their difference should not be a source of shame or ridicule. Any individual’s differences should be viewed as their strength.

Developing Others – I always encourage all to do their best and to concurrently invest in themselves.  In general, education (in the classroom and in the field) and amassing knowledge are among the best investments one can make in oneself.  While careful to not seem condescending or callus, I often provide matter-of-fact feedback and suggestions to whomever such communications might be necessary.  Furthermore, I personally seek to learn something new and worthwhile everyday and I try to instill the same quest for knowledge in others as well.  I believe a positive attitude is contagious and it might as well start with me and be spread to as many others as possible. 

Team Building – Proper team dynamics can often be an elusive goal.  However, leading by example and invoking the strengths of fellow team members inspires others to do the same.  Team spirit helps to foster commitment to the team by its members.  Displaying a ‘win-win’ approach to issues also allows the team to have faith in one another and fosters loyalty and trust among team members which will likely provide for a better outcome of undertakings.  Given the diversity of attitudes and individuals with whom I have worked in the past, I am confident that I can build a productive team. 

Adam Trotter

No comments:

Post a Comment