Sunday, August 12, 2012

Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs): Building Coalitions



  1. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating.


August 12th, 2012
For anyone that who might be interested, here was my answer(s).  I wrote this at the end of last May.


Partnering – Partnering is likely the best and most feasible alternative to achieve mutually beneficial goals when faced with shortages of resources and expertise.  Partnering allows for the development of relationships and alliances.  If partnering will allow for success of workplace endeavors, it will often do so at significantly reduced costs.  Successful partnering also provides for other positive externalities as well.  I truly enjoy having the opportunity to work with new people and other entities.  I enjoy meeting others from different organizations and being allowed to have the opportunity to meet new individuals.


Political Savvy – To survive in the modern governmental workplace setting, one must be aware of on-going politics from within and outside of the organization.  In order to succeed, one must be aware of available options and display good judgment as to which ‘battles’ one chooses to fight.  To be successful, one must be able to properly assess when to take steadfast issue to resolve any given difficulty and when it is best to not to do so and let the matter best resolve itself.  I believe that I have a talent for reading political landscapes.  I enjoy interacting with behemoth and bureaucratic organizations to uncover where the matter lies and with whom one must ultimately deal to resolve issues.  From my early days at the University of Maryland in College Park to my days of interacting with a multitude of ____ entities, I enjoy meeting new individuals and uncovering where the real decision maker rests and how to court this individual to view an issue through my perspective.


Influencing/Negotiating – I believe that nearly any difficult or potentially adverse situation can be resolved with a ‘win-win’ outcome for all stakeholders.  To properly influence or negotiate with others, respect and empathy cannot be downplayed.  When the other party becomes aware that the first party is also concerned for the others welfare, the other party then becomes more giving and willing to deal.  Politeness and respect for others also can go a long way in this regard.  When I worked aboard ____ Vessels, my peers seemed constantly amazed at how willing the sailors were to help me with my endeavors, as the sailors did not always do so for my engineering peers.  No matter what the task at hand, the sailors were always willing to help and did help to complete my required efforts.  Though my engineering peers seemed flabbergasted, the matter was simply this:  I was always respectful and pleasant to the sailors, consequently the sailors were always willing and happy to help with my efforts.  


Adam Trotter

 

No comments:

Post a Comment